Ryan's Word I/O Diary

Words go in: I read them. Words come out: I write them. Input, Output = I/O. Get it? Got it. Get Ryan a gig. I'm serious, now!!

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States

I do a little of everything, and I write about it all.

Friday, July 25, 2008

And here I am again

Invincible 51: From the cover alone it's clear that this was constructed as a jumping on point for new readers. I really hope it works, as I think this is a good series, but for regulars it feels a bit rehashy. Not a lot new happens as far as development - aside from new costumes and jobs for some people - but the last page makes up for it.

New Avengers 43: This really hits home one of the themes of the Secret Invasion, one that I really hope gets picked up in the MU as time goes on: the damage the Skrulls have done to Trust is far greater than anything else they could do. This is Grade A villainy here.

War Heroes 1: As it stands right now, the whole "This is what Ultimates 3 would've been if MM stayed on" isn't coming through for me. It's a world where the US bankrupts itself thrice over to fuel its army with superheroes, and a few people want to fuck this up in some way. I LIKE what this is, and I think it could do some interesting stuff storywise, and Tony Harris's art is great. But this is not Ultimates 3.

Daredevil 109: For my experience two things happen in books where Rucka's the main (co-)writer: a really awesome, strong female character comes around, and then they either die or get disfigured. Daredevil's a great title for him, as that's something of a theme there, too. Daredevil's quest to get a fresh mark on his win column/get an innocent man out of death row is still suspenseful, but the phrase "government cover-up" is in the field now, and I think I'm becoming burnt out on them. I'm hoping to see a new twist in the coming issues, and if anyone can do it I have faith in these two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home