Ryan's Word I/O Diary

Words go in: I read them. Words come out: I write them. Input, Output = I/O. Get it? Got it. Get Ryan a gig. I'm serious, now!!

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States

I do a little of everything, and I write about it all.

Friday, March 21, 2008

COMICS?!

All you're getting this time.

Invincible 49: This is one of my favorite books in the superhero genre. Not because the character has such amazing powers (they're good) or the art is great (it's amazing), it's because the stories go further than just about any other superhero book out there. Nothing is sacred, and in so doing everything becomes precious. In this one, the hero learns that two of his former enemies are now his co-workers, and the talk he has with his boss about the whole thing, well I hope no one's ever had one like it. Awesome stuff.

The Sword 6: I'm a weapons enthusiast, so I was going to look twice at any book with a title like this, and so far the Luna Bros have delivered a book that satisfies me on more levels than just the shiny-pointy-thingies one. A few origin stories are told in this issue, not without forgetting the present situation. It's an intriguing story, the protagonist Dara has plenty of motivation to kick-ass, and the history behind it all is just researched enough to be real, just skewed enough to justify a rogue magical pig-sticker. Love it.


Ex Machina 35: On the week Barack Obama delivers his speech on race, Mayor Mitchell Hundred gets entwined in a convoluted race issue behind the scenes of New York. This one involves the possible ghost of a slave that was part of the group that built much of New York's historic structure. It's not a topical situation, and it doesn't affect anyone except Hundred and one of his deputy mayors, Dave Wylie, but between these two the current racial situation gets a lot of dialog. The thing I love about this is that this isn't in the section with political dramas. This IS a superhero book: the main character has special abilities and he dedicates his life to helping people. The difference here is that the hero, Mitchell Hundred, tried being a classic superhero and found he could do more good for more people by working within the government. And he does.

Fables 71: You've never read Cinderella like this. Those step-sisters would've wet themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home