Ryan's Word I/O Diary

Words go in: I read them. Words come out: I write them. Input, Output = I/O. Get it? Got it. Get Ryan a gig. I'm serious, now!!

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States

I do a little of everything, and I write about it all.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Let's Try Thing Again

So it's been over one solid year since I wrote in this blog. That's okay. I can account for my time away, and I'm confident that said time will vindicate my absence. It's past us now, so I think it's time for us to move on.


I just finished I am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert. The target audience is slightly more focused that the audience for his show on Comedy Central: It's the same audience with the additional criteria that they must be literate. So if you're expecting a break in character when he makes the transition to print move on. Nothing for you here. If you're looking for the same style as the show in print, however, I think you'll be very pleased. The formatting of the book translates many of Colbert's stylistic habits, especially his "The W0rd" segment, and through this he covers all manner of topics. It also has summaries and extra sections at the end of each chapter that border on interactive, giving it the slight air of a textbook. He's completely in character throughout the text, so he'd have no trouble if this was required reading in schools, churches, phone booths, etc. It's very entertaining... if you find the Colbert Report entertaining. Since I do, I had a fun time.

The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman and his art posse continues to be one of my favorite monthly reads. Some claim that zombies have run their course through popular media but no one is bothering to take the genre on as deeply as he does. There's no humor like Shaun of the Dead or subtext like George A Romero's movies, what you see is what you get. The characters in the story would probably very much like there to be someone to blame or some cure a government/ corporate sector is hiding on to for fear of exposure, and they'd probably like some extra levity in their lives, but they're denied it. What they see is what they have, and it's not much. Even worse for them, and better for the readers, is that what they have never lasts long. Characters get introduced and killed, bases are found and lost, rations are grown only to be destroyed. It's a roller coaster ride if that roller coaster was designed by M.C. Escher.

I hope I can keep myself updating this blog regularly from now on, but we'll see what happens!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home